Tuesday, August 26, 2008

bright colors

"I don't spend a lot of time worrying about getting it all right...As long as you're honestly trying to be about loving and healing, people can tell. Anything less than that is just a sell, and nobody's buying it." Becca Stevens, as quoted in hernashville (Aug 08)
sometimes it feels so difficult to be about loving and healing. self-interest seems a lighter load to bear because there is less risk, less vulnerability, less engagement, less energy, less certainty. and yet i know that turning too much inward leaves me isolated in a faded, pastel world that does not feel real. it makes me inauthentic. it turns me into a mysterious bystander, observing but rarely participating. that is not who i want to be. living with empathy and compassion, truly present to those around me, is what gives bright colors to life.

No comments: